Saturday, December 12, 2009

The Simple Life

Stephanie wrote:

I try to lead a simple life as much as possible. My kitchen is not full of gadgets, and I have a cell phone only because my kids insist on being in constant communication.

And I try to keep the holidays simple. Granted my long list of holiday knitting projects may not appear to be simple, but for me it's much easier than a trip to the mall. The mere thought of going near a major retail outlet this time of year is sure to bring on a migraine.

This week when my teenage daughter said she wanted to knit a holiday gift for her friend, I was feeling mighty proud. After years and years of watching me knit gifts, she was going to do the same. If my kids have learned nothing else from me, at least they've learned how to knit.

Imagine my dismay when said daughter presented me with this tangled mess.


And this isn't the worst of it. This is how it looked after I had spent a considerable amount of time following various twists and turns. You'll notice it was so bad I had to start from the other end and work my way through the tangles.

The real kicker in all of this is that I had suggested she put the skein on a swift and use the ball winder. While I may not have kitchen gadgets, I do have yarn gadgets. When she handed off the mess, I asked about the swift and ball winder. It turns out she used the back of a chair - which is fine. But then she took the skein off the chair and that's when the whole process went awry. I'm just glad she had enough sense to give me the tangled mess before she took a scissors to it. With a little more time I'll have it all sorted out.

I continue to make progress on the Red Scarf (deadline is just around the corner) and have started a pair of Felt Clogs for my son's birthday next week. I have outfitted the entire family a couple of times around with these clogs but have yet to make a pair for myself. One of these days . . .

And when no one is looking, I work on various secret projects.


The beginning for a couple of projects.

While almost everything is still in some form of production, I have completed a couple of items. My favorite project this holiday season is Cairn. It's quick and clever. The color work is achieved by slipping stitches so you never work with more than one color on each round. Believe me, it's sure to impress the recipient.

Thanks to everyone who responded with comments to the last contest. Fresh ideas full of creativity and inspiration are always welcome. The winner of the winter installment of our Four Seasons Mitten Club is Kate. Congratulations!

Before I head off to select the colors for my next Cairn, I leave you with this.




I love the dark days leading up to the winter solstice. During this busy season I make time for lighting candles and quiet reflection.

1 comment:

Taos Sunflower said...

I started to watch the Japanese movie "Wool 100%" last night, and your balls of yarn and your daughter's scarf story remind me of the movie...and made me laugh!