Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Knitting In The Wild

Stephanie wrote:

My recent internet wanderings have turned up a couple of interesting tidbits. The Newcastle ScienceFest includes, among other things, guerilla knitting. Knitters turned out in force to decorate Newcaste for this event. The knitting was done in advance of the actual festival which is going on right now. Pictures can be found here and here.

As so often happens with the internet one thing leads to another. Before I knew it I had landed at Knitted Landscape. Check out some of these pictures. Fun, creative, wacky and entertaining.

Along these lines someone recently brought the book Yarn Bombing to my attention. I haven't seen the book yet, but I'm curious to take a peek. While I'm not a fan of graffiti, this is one form of graffiti I can appreciate.

And from the dye pots . . .


. . . more samples. It's always fun to envision what they might become.

This past weekend we had wild, wet weather here in eastern Massachusetts. A nor'easter moved into the area on Friday and stayed around for the entire weekend. We experienced heavy rains and house-shaking winds. It was raw and blustery - perfect knitting weather.

These pictures show the flooded banks of the Mystic River.


Some areas reported upwards of 10 inches of rain over a 72 hour period. Logan Airport recorded winds over 50 mph with other areas reporting even stronger winds.


The storm caused flooded streets and homes and, in some areas, evacuations. Monday brought snarled traffic and school closings.



As the waters recede people are assessing the damage and beginning to clean up. The weather forecast for this week is favorable with drier conditions.

I've heard reports of crocus sightings. Spring can't be far away.

No comments: