Thursday, February 4, 2010

Marking Time

Stephanie wrote:

I've always been interested in the concept of time - how we measure time, the effects of more or less daylight, why time seems to go faster as we get older. And then there are my daily efforts to maximize time.

Just this week I heard an interesting story on NPR about time. Why does time seem to fly by as we get older? It seems that people all over the world experience this same feeling. This isn't a cultural concept. Some scientists theorize that our first experiences are dense because they are new and fresh. They seem to take up more time. As we experience these same events over and over they are no longer new and seem to go by faster.

Food for thought - when you reach your 60s and 70s and realize that your time is limited, you try to savor your memories and remember all the details. I find it all very fascinating.

Well, for Dye Dreams these are busy times. We are packing up our yarn and shipping it to California for Stitches West. We have never done this event before, and I'm sure it will be quite an adventure. It will be a relief to have these boxes on their way.

I've been busy with last minute dyeing, labeling yarn, counting and re-counting. Sometimes the simplest math can be the most challenging. With all this packing and counting I don't have many pictures to show. I did finish the booth sample of the Fishbone Gansey Sock.


Here it is drying after a quick bath. I'm anxious to start a pair for myself. Maybe that will be my reward if I finish all my work for the day.

A few days ago we marked time with a birthday celebration.



These candles are supposed to be tall and straight. Perhaps the heat of summer got to them, but that didn't stop us from enjoying them. Warm light glowing at crazy, funky angles. And the cake? Homemade German chocolate.

3 comments:

Fujiyamamama said...

Happy Birthday! Good luck at Stitches West!

オテモヤン said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Taos Sunflower said...

Really interesting about time. We were just talking about that the other day, and how the memories of the past start getting stronger as we age. I'm hitting 60 next month (gasp!) and I'm feeling like it's flying past like a movie on fast forward. Think that's why I like to hibernate at home a lot, it feels like it slows it down. Also, I've done my fare share of crazy woman multi-tasking. That's why I enjoy watching all that you do...it's being vicarious because I'm out of steam since the shop closed. Good wishes for a great show in Santa Clara!